Sunday, April 1, 2012

Getting ready for Spring in the herb garden

Herbs From the Garden to the Table and Home  Like so many herb gardeners, I often caught up with the desire to plant just one more herb, or for that matter, layout one more garden.  I made a list of basic herbs to grow, then realized....this is crazy, most people will be overwhelmed! The list was 58 herbs. So, I narrowed it down to a dozen. Not an easy task for me, because I had to leave out so many of my favorites. Virgil said it best,"Admire a large estate, but tend a small one." With that in mind, for most people I would suggest a small garden.

A great advantage of herbs is that regardless of your limited space, almost all herbs can be successfully in containers and small spaces. In fact, potted herbs will make a garden where nothing else will.

No place is too small for a garden of potted herbs, and there is always a place in any type of garden for decorative containers of herbs. To read the rest of the article go to
http://www.urbanherbal.com/bill_varney/index.htm

A refreshing glass of Ice water with Fresh Herbs

The Bird Girl Early Spring


So, here is my suggested short list:

Basils
Chives
Cilantro
Dill
Lemon Balm
Mint
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Lavender
Sage
Thyme

To make a refreshing glass of iced herb water, cut a sprig of mint, lemongrass and slice a piece of vanilla bean. Add water and stir! Of course you can make whatever blend you would like.





No comments:

Post a Comment