Friday, September 23, 2011

Plant Herbs for Fall

Now is the time to plant herbs!
Potting Bench in the greenhouse
Why is Fall a good time to plant herbs?
In the Texas Hill Country and South it is actually a better time to plant cold hardy herbs because we are in a cooler season before winter and your plants have time to get established before Winter. Then by Spring they will really be growing and in full swing.

Fall is a time for rejuvenation. After we have had the tough heat, and no rain, plants use this time to their advantage. For our area it has been the most difficult Summer I have ever seen, record heat and record drought and of fires! I was in Austin this week and on my drive back to Fredericksburg, it started raining! What a joy for us! I measured a little over an inch of rain in my garden.  The cooler evenings and mornings have been a nice change.
Some of the herbs I would suggest for planting now are:
Rosemary
Thyme
Chives
Oregano
Sage
Mexican Mint Marigold
Curry
Parsley
Cilantro
Marjoram
Arugula
Borage
Fennel
Garlic
Here is a link to my Fall Planting Guide Herbs to Plant in The Fall
I love this quote from Thomas
Jefferson:
"I am still devoted to the garden. But although an old man I am but a young gardener."
Herb Seeds
Soil Bench in the greenhouse




Here are a few examples of some herbs for Fall to grow in pots for your patio or balcony

Enjoy your garden and let me know what ideas you have for herbs, gardening, cooking and aromatherapy.
Wishing to herbs, health and happiness,
William "Bill" Varney

"But now in September the garden has cooled, and with it my posessiveness. The sun warms my back instead of beating on my head. " - Robert Finch 1981 Common Ground

No comments:

Post a Comment